09-04-09, 02:06 AM
Account Closed Upon Request
Join Date: Sep 2008
Teens coping with stress
Being a teenager can be very stressful with going through puberty, school dilemmas, meeting lots of new people and getting homework into school on time. A lot of teens will become depressed due to the heavy work loads they get at school and it doesnt help when puberty is kicking in and emotions are everywhere!
There are a few types of stress and some stress is good and others are bad:
- Eustress - When you exert physical force, eustress is the stress which prepares the body and heart for what is about to occur. When you need more energy eustress kicks in and gives you the energy by pumping blood faster around your body particularly in dangerous situations.
- Distress - This is a bad kind of stress which is when the mind is out of routine and does not know where it stands basically. You feel this when you are unsure and confused in life.
There are many techniques to coping with stress and I will outline a few ways of coping below.
- Take deep breaths when you feel stressed, hold them for three or four seconds and release. Do this whenever you begin to feel distressed.
- Some people find stress balls helpful, they are small balls which you can squeeze and do not cost much.
- Visit your doctor, if you are becoming very distressed on a regular basis consult your doctor, he will provide you with any further support needed.
- Go for a walk, being outdoors for many people will help relieve stress. Breathing fresh air after being indoors all day is very relieving.
- Do something you enjoy! Get yourself out on your bike or go to a friends house and have some fun.
- Relax yourself - run yourself a bath and use bubble bath and fragrances to help you unwind.
- Eat chocolate - A lot of people have said that chocolate can help with stress, it has chemicals in it which are known to make you feel better but dont over indulge!
- Be alone - Sometimes when stressed the best place to be is on your own, go for a lie down if you are stressed with your family or school.
Distress cannot always be conquered so easily so if these teen stress coping tips dont help you, consult your doctor.
I hope that you enjoyed reading this short article. If you have any suggestions please let me know and I will add them. Thank you for reading.