Teen Forums - Teen Chat, Teen Help, Teen Advice & Support


If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.



Sports Discussion Chat about different sports, sports teams, results, and players within this forum.

Like Tree3Likes

Reply
Old 08-02-14, 04:05 PM   #1
 
HeyitzDiMatteo's Avatar
My Mood:  Confused
 
Name: Anthony
Gender: Male
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 357
HeyitzDiMatteo will become famous soon enoughHeyitzDiMatteo will become famous soon enough
Default Michael Jordan Vs. Lebron James

I've been hearing a lot of talk about people saying that Lebron James is the modern era Michael Jordan and I just wanted to get your guys opinions on it.

So the question I think I'm looking for is based on the skills of the player (not speaking on a 1 vs. 1 term) who do you think is the better player? Lebron? Or Michael?
HeyitzDiMatteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-02-14, 04:08 PM   #2
There's No Compromise...!
 
Gray's Avatar
My Mood:  Cute
 
Name: Gray
Gender: Male
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: TeenForumz
Posts: 8,979
Gray has a reputation beyond reputeGray has a reputation beyond reputeGray has a reputation beyond reputeGray has a reputation beyond reputeGray has a reputation beyond reputeGray has a reputation beyond reputeGray has a reputation beyond reputeGray has a reputation beyond reputeGray has a reputation beyond reputeGray has a reputation beyond reputeGray has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Michael Jordan Vs. Lebron James

thats a difficult questions because both of them are great players ... sometimes one will be better than the other , so i believe they are balanced








A Ship is Safe in a harbor indeedly , but .. thats not what ships are made for , right ?



It Gets Better , I Promise

Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-14, 04:37 PM   #3
Stop being an idiot.
 
Halo's Avatar
My Mood:  Melancholic
 
Name: Ben
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 2,634
Halo has a reputation beyond reputeHalo has a reputation beyond reputeHalo has a reputation beyond reputeHalo has a reputation beyond reputeHalo has a reputation beyond reputeHalo has a reputation beyond reputeHalo has a reputation beyond reputeHalo has a reputation beyond reputeHalo has a reputation beyond reputeHalo has a reputation beyond reputeHalo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Michael Jordan Vs. Lebron James

This question is ridiculous and always has been. LeBron James is the greatest player to ever play the game. Period.

If one says, "Who wins one vs. one?" I would say that, out of 10 games, Jordan would win more. Michael is an overall better one on one player. I think LeBron would cause him problems with his size and speed, but I give the edge to Jordan in that regard. If it were Melo vs. Jordan, I think that would be very interesting. I think Melo would maybe win 5 games. Durant, in my opinion, will be the greatest scorer to ever play. Yes, even better than Kareem or Wilt. I've never seen a guy that tall have such a great shot.

In terms of team ball, LeBron walks all over Jordan. At LeBron's age, he has the same amount of championships and more MVPs than Jordan.

From the eye test, it's no question. LeBron is faster, stronger, a better passer, a better 3 point shooter (statistics wise), a better rebounder, and a slightly better defender in terms of lock down and chase down blocks. I'll give Jordan the better hands with steals.

LeBron takes far fewer shots than any of the big names in today's game. He takes much less shots than Jordan. Oh yeah, LeBron has more points than Jordan at his age. LeBron is shooting like 59% from the field and around 40% from 3. And yet, he's averaging 27 ppg along with 6-7 assists and rebounds. STAT WISE, Lebron is the clear better team player.

I remember hearing someone say LeBron is the size of Carl Malone, the speed of Bolt, the passer of Jason Kidd, and the scorer of MJ. Idk about the last one because he doesn't take as many shots, but honestly, LeBron could average 40 ppg if he took as many shots as he wanted.

You see these old dick riders for MJ making the argument of, "But he was an assassin and LeBron isn't mentally tough." Um excuse me, Jordan had a drought in the first 7 years of his career. They're comparing LeBron to Jordan as if LeBron hasn't gotten any chips. Skill wise, he's the greatest of all. Does he have to win more chips for validation? Not in my eyes, but it's only logical to say yes.








Halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-14, 11:07 PM   #4
3, 2, 1, Let's Jam!
 
Nobartholem's Avatar
My Mood:  Musical
 
Name: Zach
Gender: Male
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 11,175
Nobartholem has a reputation beyond reputeNobartholem has a reputation beyond reputeNobartholem has a reputation beyond reputeNobartholem has a reputation beyond reputeNobartholem has a reputation beyond reputeNobartholem has a reputation beyond reputeNobartholem has a reputation beyond reputeNobartholem has a reputation beyond reputeNobartholem has a reputation beyond reputeNobartholem has a reputation beyond reputeNobartholem has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Michael Jordan Vs. Lebron James

Wilt Chamberlain was only so great because he was 7 feet 1 playing with a bunch of short ass white guys.

Durant might well wind up being the NBA leading scorer

He has almost 14,000 points already, which is 24,000 off of the record. If he played until he was 38 then he would need 2000 points a season, which is around 25 points a game. He is averagin 27 on his career so he should be fine. this is of course if he doesn't miss a game...

Anyways, i'd pick Lebron also.

GO HEAT
TheGreatOne likes this.










"Is not the human body a mere shell, a form of existence all too small and weak for consciousness with such vast reach and potential?"
-Dr. Londes
Nobartholem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 11:35 AM   #5
 
Dan.'s Avatar
My Mood:  Question
 
Name: Daniel
Gender: Male
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 105
Dan. is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Michael Jordan Vs. Lebron James

(Wow, I've asked this question many times on basketball forums, and to other people that I know. I always love hearing their opinions on this topic!)

Let's take into consideration the two completely different era's of basketball to start. In the mid 1980's when Jordan came into the spot light, the game was played completely different then it is today. The game was much more physical in certain aspects. What I mean by this is you had to earn your points. There was none of this go through the lane and get a finger laid on you, then heading to the foul line. Back then if you went through the lane you better be expecting to get hit/hacked at and no foul be called. It was just a completely different style of ball. Players were always looking for huge opportunities to slam one down on each other and I could go on.

Statistics wise Lebron leads in Overall Rebound, Defensive Rebounds, 3pt%, Assists, Turnovers (Negative aspect).

Jordan Leads in Points Per game, Shot %, Steals, Free Throw %, Off Rebound, Fouls (Negative Aspect)

My opinion on the outcome if they Played? If both were in there prime I would say that Jordan wins one on one. Team wise it's hard to say. It would be a tough match up, but I think that the Bulls would come out on top depending on which Bulls team played the Heat.

Michael Jordan is hands down the Greatest player, to ever play the game of basketball. He made the biggest impact that any player has ever made on the NBA. He has 6 NBA Championships (Lebron has 2), and 5 MVP awards (Lebron has 4 and he will probably surpass Mj on that). LeBron James is just now getting where he can be mentioned in the same breath as M.J.

LeBron is an Excellent Basketball player, but there are even others that I would put ahead of him. Magic, Larry, Hakeem, and most defiantly Michael Jordan.
Dan. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 12:05 PM   #6
Stop being an idiot.
 
Halo's Avatar
My Mood:  Melancholic
 
Name: Ben
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 2,634
Halo has a reputation beyond reputeHalo has a reputation beyond reputeHalo has a reputation beyond reputeHalo has a reputation beyond reputeHalo has a reputation beyond reputeHalo has a reputation beyond reputeHalo has a reputation beyond reputeHalo has a reputation beyond reputeHalo has a reputation beyond reputeHalo has a reputation beyond reputeHalo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Michael Jordan Vs. Lebron James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan. View Post
(Wow, I've asked this question many times on basketball forums, and to other people that I know. I always love hearing their opinions on this topic!)

Let's take into consideration the two completely different era's of basketball to start. In the mid 1980's when Jordan came into the spot light, the game was played completely different then it is today. The game was much more physical in certain aspects. What I mean by this is you had to earn your points. There was none of this go through the lane and get a finger laid on you, then heading to the foul line. Back then if you went through the lane you better be expecting to get hit/hacked at and no foul be called. It was just a completely different style of ball. Players were always looking for huge opportunities to slam one down on each other and I could go on.

Statistics wise Lebron leads in Overall Rebound, Defensive Rebounds, 3pt%, Assists, Turnovers (Negative aspect).

Jordan Leads in Points Per game, Shot %, Steals, Free Throw %, Off Rebound, Fouls (Negative Aspect)

My opinion on the outcome if they Played? If both were in there prime I would say that Jordan wins one on one. Team wise it's hard to say. It would be a tough match up, but I think that the Bulls would come out on top depending on which Bulls team played the Heat.

Michael Jordan is hands down the Greatest player, to ever play the game of basketball. He made the biggest impact that any player has ever made on the NBA. He has 6 NBA Championships (Lebron has 2), and 5 MVP awards (Lebron has 4 and he will probably surpass Mj on that). LeBron James is just now getting where he can be mentioned in the same breath as M.J.

LeBron is an Excellent Basketball player, but there are even others that I would put ahead of him. Magic, Larry, Hakeem, and most defiantly Michael Jordan.
Are you fucking stupid?
First of all, it's a notable point to bring up different eras, but at the same time it can't be a valid argument because you don't know how much better or worse the two would play in the opposite eras. You're assuming LeBron wouldn't get as many free throw attempts as he does, but he could easily drive to the basket more than he is now and draw that many more fouls. The game is allowing him to shoot more jump shots because of his ability to get to the free throw line at ease. He has that option. Thus, he's able to attack from all areas more effectively. You could make the opposing argument that he could consequently take more shots (in terms of driving to the basket) and pick up just as many free throw attempts if he decides to. Again, these points are invalid because you can't compare what could have or should have been. It's notable, but not valid enough to bring up one being better than the other. To counter your statement, you can make the case that the game is much faster and more athletic than anything MJ saw. Durant and Bird aren't exactly the same in how athletic, nor is Magic and Melo/CP/Irving. Centers and forwards dominated their league with tough play, sure, but the level of athletic ability is laughable.

Honestly, go watch videos of LeBron and Jordan driving to the basket. They both get, "superstar calls" and they both can be mauled because the defenders know that, if you want to stop them, you have to actually hit them. Watch Boozer, Noah, and Gibson hit LeBron on his drives and tell me that it's so different than if Ewing or Robinson would hit Jordan.

Jordan wins one on one, I give that to you. It seems as if that's what everyone compares them by for some reason. As far as team ball, I find it hard to believe that Jordan is a better team player. You allude to how Jordan scores more points per game and a higher FG % (mind you, it's probably a tenth of a difference in percent), but LeBron takes as many shots as a 2 tier NBA player. He averages a low amount because he rarely takes shots. Remember the game 6 Boston game last year? He scored 45 15 and 5 with like 7 minutes left in the game. He decided he was going to score that night, and he did. Other nights, like the Clippers game the other day, he decided to have a double digit assist game but still rack up over 30 points. It all depends on what the team needs, so I believe he's comparable to Oscar as the greatest team player. Why are you comparing MJ's whole career to LeBron's short career? You do realize that they both have the same number of rings at their age and LeBron has more points and MVPs than Jordan at that age. LeBron just turned 29, so it may be different than 28, but he only turned 29 a couple months ago. I'll still go by that.

If you just see what LeBron is accomplishing as of late, he could have a comparable record in terms of number of chips, MVPs, and points. You can only compare what he's doing at his age with how Jordan played at that age. You can't say, "Well, Jordan is 6 for 6 in chips and LeBron only has 2." I mean you can, but you'll look ignorant. Jordan has completed his legacy, LeBron hasn't.

Honestly, I wouldn't particularly say Jordan is the best to ever play. I can't fathom how anyone can compare Wilt to Jordan. It's like comparing Kobe to Dwight Howard. Different roles, different teams, different eras. In my opinion, Oscar is one of the top players to ever play. Jordan was great, but why exactly are you saying he's the best? How can there really be the best? I'll I'm saying is LeBron seems to be a better player (and stats show that he has and is surpassing Jordan as we speak) through his athletic abilities and stats. He's gaining chips and he gets better every season, as stats have shown. This idea of, "You can't compare LeBron to Jordan because it's disrespectful" is absolutely ridiculous considering that LeBron is currently on mark to surpass Jordan in almost every aspect.

Get out of here with that shit. This Jordan paradigm is getting old.








Halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 12:40 PM   #7
 
Gender: Male
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,379
awfulcopter has a reputation beyond reputeawfulcopter has a reputation beyond reputeawfulcopter has a reputation beyond reputeawfulcopter has a reputation beyond reputeawfulcopter has a reputation beyond reputeawfulcopter has a reputation beyond reputeawfulcopter has a reputation beyond reputeawfulcopter has a reputation beyond reputeawfulcopter has a reputation beyond reputeawfulcopter has a reputation beyond reputeawfulcopter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Michael Jordan Vs. Lebron James

I don't give a fuck about basketball but I'm going to take @Dan.'s side because Ben is a vagina








PM me if you need anything.


awfulcopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 12:45 PM   #8
 
Dan.'s Avatar
My Mood:  Question
 
Name: Daniel
Gender: Male
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 105
Dan. is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Michael Jordan Vs. Lebron James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo View Post
Are you fucking stupid?
First of all, it's a notable point to bring up different eras, but at the same time it can't be a valid argument because you don't know how much better or worse the two would play in the opposite eras. You're assuming LeBron wouldn't get as many free throw attempts as he does, but he could easily drive to the basket more than he is now and draw that many more fouls. The game is allowing him to shoot more jump shots because of his ability to get to the free throw line at ease. He has that option. Thus, he's able to attack from all areas more effectively. You could make the opposing argument that he could consequently take more shots (in terms of driving to the basket) and pick up just as many free throw attempts if he decides to. Again, these points are invalid because you can't compare what could have or should have been. It's notable, but not valid enough to bring up one being better than the other. To counter your statement, you can make the case that the game is much faster and more athletic than anything MJ saw. Durant and Bird aren't exactly the same in how athletic, nor is Magic and Melo/CP/Irving. Centers and forwards dominated their league with tough play, sure, but the level of athletic ability is laughable.

Honestly, go watch videos of LeBron and Jordan driving to the basket. They both get, "superstar calls" and they both can be mauled because the defenders know that, if you want to stop them, you have to actually hit them. Watch Boozer, Noah, and Gibson hit LeBron on his drives and tell me that it's so different than if Ewing or Robinson would hit Jordan.

Jordan wins one on one, I give that to you. It seems as if that's what everyone compares them by for some reason. As far as team ball, I find it hard to believe that Jordan is a better team player. You allude to how Jordan scores more points per game and a higher FG % (mind you, it's probably a tenth of a difference in percent), but LeBron takes as many shots as a 2 tier NBA player. He averages a low amount because he rarely takes shots. Remember the game 6 Boston game last year? He scored 45 15 and 5 with like 7 minutes left in the game. He decided he was going to score that night, and he did. Other nights, like the Clippers game the other day, he decided to have a double digit assist game but still rack up over 30 points. It all depends on what the team needs, so I believe he's comparable to Oscar as the greatest team player. Why are you comparing MJ's whole career to LeBron's short career? You do realize that they both have the same number of rings at their age and LeBron has more points and MVPs than Jordan at that age. LeBron just turned 29, so it may be different than 28, but he only turned 29 a couple months ago. I'll still go by that.

If you just see what LeBron is accomplishing as of late, he could have a comparable record in terms of number of chips, MVPs, and points. You can only compare what he's doing at his age with how Jordan played at that age. You can't say, "Well, Jordan is 6 for 6 in chips and LeBron only has 2." I mean you can, but you'll look ignorant. Jordan has completed his legacy, LeBron hasn't.

Honestly, I wouldn't particularly say Jordan is the best to ever play. I can't fathom how anyone can compare Wilt to Jordan. It's like comparing Kobe to Dwight Howard. Different roles, different teams, different eras. In my opinion, Oscar is one of the top players to ever play. Jordan was great, but why exactly are you saying he's the best? How can there really be the best? I'll I'm saying is LeBron seems to be a better player (and stats show that he has and is surpassing Jordan as we speak) through his athletic abilities and stats. He's gaining chips and he gets better every season, as stats have shown. This idea of, "You can't compare LeBron to Jordan because it's disrespectful" is absolutely ridiculous considering that LeBron is currently on mark to surpass Jordan in almost every aspect.

Get out of here with that shit. This Jordan paradigm is getting old.
I'll start this by replying to the different era's. Let's take Jordan and put him in this era. You're putting Michael Jordan in an environment where he virtually can not be touched, it just gives him that much more of a boost. Now, I'm not saying that LeBron would do terrible if you put him in the old school era. I've watched LeBron when he drives in, head down and exploding to the basket. I'm not going to go on about that. Now on the team game, I was simulating if the two teams played each other. I didn't state that Jordan was a better "Team Player". LeBron in my opinion is more than likely a better team player.

I don't have much more to say. Watch videos on it is all I have to say. Here is LeBrons top three pick, over himself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3ki8T51OH4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPCB9YGyThc

Last edited by Dan.; 09-02-14 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add the link.
Dan. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 12:54 PM   #9
Stop being an idiot.
 
Halo's Avatar
My Mood:  Melancholic
 
Name: Ben
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 2,634
Halo has a reputation beyond reputeHalo has a reputation beyond reputeHalo has a reputation beyond reputeHalo has a reputation beyond reputeHalo has a reputation beyond reputeHalo has a reputation beyond reputeHalo has a reputation beyond reputeHalo has a reputation beyond reputeHalo has a reputation beyond reputeHalo has a reputation beyond reputeHalo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Michael Jordan Vs. Lebron James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan. View Post
I'll start this by replying to the different era's. Let's take Jordan and put him in this era. You're putting Michael Jordan in an environment where he virtually can not be touched, it just gives him that much more of a boost. Now, I'm not saying that LeBron would do terrible if you put him in the old school era. I've watched LeBron when he drives in, head down and exploding to the basket. I'm not going to go on about that. Now on the team game, I was simulating if the two teams played each other. I didn't state that Jordan was a better "Team Player". LeBron in my opinion is more than likely a better team player.

I don't have much more to say. Watch videos on it is all I have to say. Here is LeBrons top three pick, over himself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3ki8T51OH4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPCB9YGyThc

Just imagine if he picked himself over the greats. He's not that stupid. There would be so much backlash it wouldn't even be funny. I think I've seen every Skip Baseless and Stephen A Smith 1st take video there is. I don't know if you realize this, but they're both biased because that was the guy in their time they looked to. You're making the case that most older people make. "Oh Jordan was the greatest and no one can even look at him because his face is too bright and no one is worthy." It's ridiculous. If that were the case, why didn't he win every chip every season he played? Why is LeBron a better passer? Why can't the two be comparable if LeBron leads him in many of the main basketball stats? It's complete bias in that regard. You do realize that, like LeBron, if Jordan were to play at this era and easily get to the basket, people would hit him harder like many do against LeBron, right? If you were to compare the '96 Bulls to the Heat, if Wade were healthy, I'd take the Heat in 7. At the Heat's current disposition, I'd take the Bulls in 5 or MAYBE 6. However, I don't think that's a good comparison between Jordan and LeBron. In the end, they're two different players and you can't deny the fact that, with LeBron's talents and being able to play any position on the court and guard any player in the NBA (Parker to Hibbert), if you don't say he's better now, he certainly has the potential to. In my opinion, however, it's clear in my eyes that LeBron is a better all around player than Jordan ever was. If LeBron would shoot as much as Durant, Jordan, and Melo, he'd also he just as good of a scorer as Jordan, if not better.








Halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 01:06 PM   #10
Qué Será Será
 
Tom's Avatar
My Mood:  Damned
 
Name: Tom
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 13,042
Tom has a reputation beyond reputeTom has a reputation beyond reputeTom has a reputation beyond reputeTom has a reputation beyond reputeTom has a reputation beyond reputeTom has a reputation beyond reputeTom has a reputation beyond reputeTom has a reputation beyond reputeTom has a reputation beyond reputeTom has a reputation beyond reputeTom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Michael Jordan Vs. Lebron James

It's a pointless debate since Basketball is an irrelevant sport









"No luck catching them swans then?"
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
basketball, james, jordan, lebron, michael

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:46 PM. Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.








     Friends: Friends Circle
TeenForumz will never have pop-up or annoying ads. Thanks for NOT supporting us!